Doing Business in China – Part 1
Are you currently planning to establish your company in China? Or is your company already fully operational in China? If so, our series on “Doing Business in China” will give you the critical insight into China’s past, present, and future that you will need in order to make your business plan a complete success.
We anticipate that this series will span two months and each week’s email will cover a different topic:
- A total of 13 cities, 140 towns, and 1,600 villages have been submerged under water, requiring the relocation of 1.3 million people to make room for the dam.
- The dam generates 11 times as much power as the Hoover Dam in Colorado.
- Because of the sheer mass of water that had to be diverted, the Three Gorges Dam literally slowed the rotation of the Earth.
- It cost nearly $100 billion to build the dam as well as complete its related projects and divert the fresh water.
- This undertaking will use dams, pumping stations, tunnels, and canals to draw 45 billion cubic meters of water upstream 1,000 miles each year.
- A massive 27.15 million cubic meters of concrete was used during the construction of the dam. Compare that to the 2.6 million cubic meters of concrete used in the construction of the Hoover Dam.
These are just a few facts that give a very general idea of how massive a feat of engineering it was. It is impossible for projects of this scale to become a reality without controversy, and the Three Gorges Dam is no exception to the rule. But, despite the controversies related to it, the fact is that in order to make this project a reality, massive amounts of resources were required. Some of these resources were manufactured locally and others were imported from various other countries. There were a total of 13 countries as well as a few international organizations and financiers (such as World Bank) that helped supply materials to build the dam.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words…then what is a video worth? Decide for yourself and gain insight into where China had been, where it is now, and where it might be tomorrow, by watching the two videos below.
Three Gorges Dam:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4FRO1eYdgQ – Discovery Channel documentary
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8cCsUBYSkw – Largest dam in the world.